This is a three day workshop series for young adults committed to building social and environmental justice movements. Come share space with a variety of folks working for more Just communities and join a national network of past participants organizing for social and environmental justice.
Application Deadline: 5 pm January 13th, 2019
Age Range: 18-32
Cost*: $80.00 coffee, tea and light snacks included.
A different view of facilitation: Tools and practises for social change
Facilitation - Creating a space for groups to come together for a common purpose
This will be a highly active workshop, involving movement, speaking to groups, role simulating, and working within fluid learning dynamics. It will be a mixture of skills, theories and shared experiences.
The workshops will address these elements of facilitation:
- Invitation - overlooked, possibly the most important - ties to inclusion, representation, safety, trust, perception that there is meaning in being part of the activity being facilitated.
- The container - hidden things - structure, accountability, power dynamics (incl privilege, hierarchy) and power to proceed with the results of the facilitation.
- Time - is this about a single action, or a deeper type of relationship or long term process. This includes the concept of engagement.
- Results - consensus and engagement with the ‘product’, capacity for action, momentum / follow through / adaptability.
- is there accountability and a support system to actually do something.
- Theories and practises that underlie the type of facilitation structures that you will use
- there will be mandatory advance homework (about 40 minutes of work)
Time & Locations:
(participants MUST attend all the sessions).
1 Tuesday, Jan. 15, 6 pm - 9 pm @ Alberta Ecotrust - 100 1711 10 St SW Calgary
2 Wednesday, Jan. 16, 6 pm - 9 pm @ Alberta Ecotrust - 100 1711 10 St SW Calgary
3 Sunday, Jan. 20, 9:00 am - 5 pm @ CommunityWise - Common Room, 223 12 Ave SW Calgary (potluck lunch)°
*No-judgement sliding scale subsidies are available to anyone who requests one. We will do our best to address any barriers to participation you might experience. Subsides for childcare are available.
*$135 Solidarity Super Tickets are available to purchase for those who would like to subsidize other participants.
° potluck will be planned during the first workshop session.
Click Here To Complete the Application
Note: We encourage registration from people of all genders and sexualities, Two-Spirit people, Indigenous people, people of colour, low-income earners and the unemployed, newcomers, and people with disabilities. We encourage participants with children to register – childcare subsidies are available. We acknowledge that systemic oppression and harsh realities of life may make participation difficult for some, and will do our best to assist those who want to participate.
Next Up Calgary works in Treaty 7 in the place known as Mohkinsstis, Meechispa, and Calgary, on the ancestral lands of the Nitsatapi Confederacy, Îyarhe Nakoda, Danit'ada and Métis Nations.
1711 10 Ave SW
Calgary, AB T3C 0K1
Google map and directions
Showing 2 reactions