NextUp :: A leadership program for young adults committed to social and environmental justice
If you have any additional questions, please contact us!
Do you wonder what the future holds for the world? Are you concerned about things like climate change, poverty, public health and education, housing and trade policy? Do you believe that global and local issues are connected? Do you feel that our economic system is focused on profit at the expense of people and the planet?
Do you believe that it is possible for us, as communities, to do things differently at home and abroad, to eradicate poverty, to deal with conflict peacefully, for everyone to have access to good public health and education services?
If you’ve answered yes to any or all of the above, then this program is for you.
To be eligible to be a Next Up participant, you must be:
- Aged 18–32
- Passionate about changing the way the world works, and committed to being active at the centre of social change
- Certain that there are better ways for us to take care of each other and the planet
- Willing to take a risk, join a team, and learn more about yourself
- Someone with leadership qualities (though leadership experience is not necessarily required)
- Available to commit time to the program between October – May
You’ll learn more about yourself and your values, and about how to turn ideas into action. You’ll be challenged with new ways of thinking, provocative speakers, inspiring mentors and fascinating guests. You’ll discuss solutions to problems like poverty and climate change. You’ll learn skills in areas like media relations, issue framing, project development, fundraising and facilitation. You will meet people working in different areas of public policy and social change. And you’ll connect and work with people in the region doing innovative social and environmental change work. Our goal is to equip you with the skills and tools needed to become an effective leader in movements for social and environmental change.
The sessions will be delivered by the Next Up Coordinator and by guest presenters from the non-profit, labour, cooperative, and public sectors.
By joining Next Up you’re committing yourself to an extraordinarily rigorous and exciting program.
The programs in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg run from October to May (varying dates), and during that time you will:
- Attend one evening session per week
- Attend one day-long weekend session per month
- Connect with community leaders during mutually convenient times
- Explore and take action on an issue or topic of social change that you’re passionate about
The programs in Regina and Saskatoon run from October to May (varying dates), and during that time you will:
- Attend one weekend-long session per month
- Meet monthly with a partner in the group by phone or in person in between monthly weekend-long sessions
- Contribute at least 5 hours of volunteer time during the program to assist with Next Up fundraising, public events, and/or support for our community partners
Yes. The program was designed with an understanding that the people in it would have a life: work, school, family and many combinations thereof. That’s why the sessions take place in the evenings and on weekends. Next Up also requires a strong time commitment and you should be thinking about how you will make time for the program should you be accepted.
Next Up BC takes place in Vancouver, BC.
Next Up Edmonton takes place in Edmonton, AB.
Next Up Calgary takes place in Calgary, AB.
Next Up Saskatchewan takes place in Saskatoon, SK and in Regina, SK.
Next Up Winnipeg takes place in Winnipeg, MB.
Next Up Ottawa takes place in Ottawa, ON.
It's free! – for you! The cost of the program is actually about $2,500 per participant, but we cover those costs (and if you live outside the city where the program is taking place we may be able to help with travel costs, so please apply). You have to commit time, energy, curiosity and a desire to change the world.