NEXT UP is an intense leadership program for young people committed to social and environmental justice. We currently have programs in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon and Ottawa. The program examines many social change topics combining theory, practice, deep thinking and hard skills.
The program provides participants with a look at some of the most pressing domestic and foreign policy issues and where “progressive” thinking is at on these issues. It will ground participants in how change is made in society. Participants will meet innovative change-makers in Ontario— from the non-profit, public and private sectors who are all working for a better world.
We are seeking a focused, passionate, motivated and organized person to be our Ottawa Program Coordinator. The role demands excellent organizational skills and a good knowledge of group dynamics, facilitation and project management.
- Excellent knowledge of labour, social justice, environmental issues and their interconnections
- Excellent knowledge of Ottawa/Ontario NGOs, labour, social justice and environmental organizations
- Experience with social justice campaign work and community-based organizing
- Ability to work well with participants, volunteers, and committees
- Experience in community development and public education in order to build the capacity of diverse individuals and communities
- Experience coordinating projects, campaigns and events
- Experience creating promotional and educational materials
- Self-directed and ability to take initiative in a semi-structured work environment
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with popular education and skills sharing
- Strong organizational, office coordination and time management skills
- Capacity to speak French
- Experience with fund development and securing of resources for programming
- Ability to research, design and execute workshops for the purposes of capacity building
- Experience with program design and development
Coordinating all aspects of the Next Up Ottawa program which include: workshop coordination, attending program sessions, coordinating workshop guests, working with Ottawa participants, liaising with coordinators in other cities, coordinate advisory committee meetings, the possibility of delivering some sessions, representing Next Up at events.
This is a part-time (2 days a week) contract position from August 27th, 2014 through May 31, 2015. The position is remunerated at a rate of $21.50/hour.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday August 6th, 2014. Interviews will take place in Ottawa on August 14th and the successful candidate should be available to come to Vancouver for training from August 27th – 30th.
We welcome and value the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization, and encourage Indigenous people, people of colour, women, people identifying as LGBTQI, members of ethnic minorities, immigrants and people with disabilities to apply.
By email: Please name your resume firstname_lastnameCV.doc and email your application to email@example.com or call 306-321-5097 for more information
Next Up Ottawa Hiring Committee c/o the CCPA
Suite 500 – 251 Bank Street
In Ontario, Next Up partners with the Broadbent Institute and the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives.
Next Up thanks all applicants, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.